Sat28Mar202010 am - 12 pmMalcolm X Learning Center, 4624 W. Madison St, Chicago
Get Your Financial Freedom
Join us at the West Cook Homeownership Center’s FREE Your Money Matters Workshop on Saturday, March 28, at the Malcolm X Learning Center, 4624 W. Madison St, Chicago, and learn how to build and maintain your credit.
- Learn how to keep your spending under control
- Learn how to set goals while you build your credit
- Receive a free credit report with free credit counseling
- Join the Home Buyer’s Club
Some of the benefits of having a good credit score include:
- Low-Interest Rates on Credit Cards and Loans – The interest rate is one of the costs you pay for borrowing money and, often, the interest rate you get is directly tied to your credit score. If you have a good credit score, you’ll almost always qualify for the best interest rates, and you’ll pay lower finance charges on credit card balances and loans. The less money you pay in interest, the faster you’ll pay off the debt and the more money you have for other expenses.
- Better Chance for Credit Card and Loan Approval – Borrowers with a poor credit history typically avoid applying for a new credit card or loan because they’ve been turned down previously. Having an excellent credit score doesn’t guarantee approval, because lenders still consider other factors like your income and debt. However, a good credit score increases your chances of being approved for new credit. In other words, you can apply for a loan or credit card with confidence.
- More Negotiating Power – A good credit score gives you leverage to negotiate a lower interest rate on a credit card or a new loan. If you need more bargaining power, you can take advantage of other attractive offers that you’ve received from other companies based on your credit score. However, if you have a low credit score, creditors are unlikely to budge on loan terms, and you won’t have other credit offers or options.
- Better Car Insurance Rates – Your borrowing capacity is based on your income and your credit score. One of the benefits of having a good credit score is that banks are willing to let you borrow more money because you’ve demonstrated that you pay back on time what you’ve borrowed. You may still get approved for some loans with a bad credit score, but the amount will be limited.
Every 4th Saturday. Begins promptly, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m
The West Cook Homeownership Center is a program of the Oak Park Regional Housing Center.
Wed08Apr20206:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.Greater St. John Bible Church, 1256 N. Waller Ave., Chicago, 60651
The West Cook Homeownership Center is partnering with Greater St. John Bible Church to bring you our FREE Homebuyer Education Workshop, which takes place in a series of Wednesday classes on April 8th, 15th, 22nd, and 29th, from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm, at 1256 N. Waller Ave., Chicago, 60651. If you want to buy a home then this class series is for you! Not just for first-time homebuyers. Don’t miss out on this popular workshop, which outlines the steps to take in buying a home. At our Homebuyer Education Workshop learn the do’s and don’ts of your credit. Learn how to access up to $30,000 down payment assistance! Attend all sessions to earn a pre-purchase Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Certificate, which qualifies you for available grants. A meal will be served at each session. Sorry, no childcare is available.
Learn everything you should know about the home buying process:
- Budgeting and Credit
- Financing Your Home
- Down Payment Assistance
- Building Your Team
- Working with a HUD-approved counseling agency
- When, Why, and How to Obtain a HUD Certificate
Hear from our partners in the housing industry on how to obtain a mortgage, downpayment assistance, home insurance, and what to look for in a home inspection. Learn how to obtain a free credit report, and what lenders are looking for on your credit report. Get information on how to avoid predatory lenders. Find agents who are interested in helping you obtain the best deal for your money when purchasing a house. We partner with our preferred lenders and the Illinois Housing Development Authority (IHDA) to qualify buyers for all of their mortgage products and down payment assistance. Other down payment programs available to our clients include Federal Home Loan Bank and various employer-assisted housing programs. All of this and more you can learn in our FREE HUD-approved homebuyer education workshops.
You MUST register to attend. You can register by emailing your name, address with zip code, and phone number to email@example.com. Call us at 773-887-5187 if you have any questions.